Friday 5 August 2011

When Racing was Dangerous, and Sex was safe.

Historic F1 Meeting, Brands Hatch,

This is one of my favourite meetings now, having been to the Grand Prix at Silverstone many times and thoroughly enjoyed the experience times were a changing.

I found out about this meeting about 18months ago, as it happened I could not make the GP in 2010 for one reason or another but was determined to get some sort of F1 viewing in that year, then I saw the advert for the Historic F1 meet, so off I went and had a brilliant time. Seeing all the old cars from my youth, the Brabhams, Tyrells, Saudia Williams and Walter Wolf Racing cars fly round the track bought the memories flooding back, this had to be an annual thing from then on.

So when I started my marshalling career this was the first meeting I volunteered for, I did a couple of other meets first that you may have read about already, but this is the one I was waiting for. To make it even better my brother and my son started their marshalling careers at this meet to.

We only marshalled on the Friday and Saturday as we wanted to enjoy the racing on the Sunday, but it was well worth it. The sight of these beautiful old cars during practice and quail was fantastic, the noise, the smell, everything you ever remembered it was there and to add to the spectacle you can even get into the garages and paddocks and see these wonderful machines up close n personal. Also on the cards were Formula Ford, Formula 2, Formula 5000, and the first ever dedicated e-Type Jag race to celebrate the 50 anniversary of the marque.

Marshalling was a joy, the drivers were just out to enjoy the meeting, it’s all about enjoying the atmosphere and the company, we had a couple of incidents to deal with as they day went on but nothing to dramatic. Blue flags a plenty on the Friday as the lower formulas sorted out the”pecking order” and quite a few “offs” as they wrestled with the tyres on the full GP circuit.
The added bonus as always is that marshalling your really close to the action, and when needed you CAN make the difference.
Historic F1, I certainly recommend it.

Next up the LMS 1000km at Silverstone Sept 9th/10th.
I’ll let you know how it goes soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment